Types of Dental Crown You Should Learn About
A dental crown is a covering for an existing tooth it is one of the most well-known dental restorations. They are used for the damaged teeth and they are known as caps. Dental crowns are made from porcelain or a mix of porcelain and metal. If your teeth are affected by decay then you can restore the functionality of your teeth by wearing dental crowns. They can protect your cracked tooth. Dental caps can restore your cracked or damaged tooth back in their original shape and size. Even you can restore their natural colour by wearing such crowns. They also improve your facial and smile aesthetics. Apart from that, such crowns can also strengthen your teeth, which is not possible by a dental filling. Some benefits of dental crowns are:
- They can protect, restore and strengthen your damaged or cracked tooth.
- You can restore your damaged tooth into their original shape, colour, and size by wearing such crowns.
- They can be used for building bridges and holding dental fillings.
- Dental crowns can enhance the overall appearance of your teeth.
Different Types of Dental Crowns Available in the Market:
There are different kinds of dental crowns available in the market and they are made by various materials. Permanent crowns are made of stainless steel, and you can find different other types of crowns made by porcelain, metal, resin, ceramic and alloy.
- Stainless Steel Crowns: These crowns are prefabricated crowns which are made for the permanent dental replacement. They can protect your damaged tooth or hold the dental filling for a longer period. People can also use such stainless steel crowns for the children and these crowns can be fitted over a primary tooth of a child. They can cover the entire tooth and protect your damaged or cracked tooth for further decay. Commonly, stainless steel dental crowns are used for the children because they do not need to visit the dentist’s chamber several times, and these are the custom-made crowns available at an affordable cost.
- Metals: You can find some dental caps made by different kinds of materials such as platinum, gold or alloys. If you have any chewing or biting problems or sensitive teeth then you can use such metal crowns for a longer period. They can keep your teeth safe from further damages. But, such metal crowns are a little expensive.
- Porcelain: These dental crowns are highly recommended by the dentist as they look like your normal teeth and you can match their colour with your natural teeth. Porcelain crowns are aesthetically pleasing. But they can chip or break off over time and they are not long-lasting. Porcelain crowns can be treated as an alternative of resin crowns. But, sometimes the underlying metal of these crowns can create some dark lines and you can during from gum infection due to these crowns. So before you choose any dental crown, you must consult a dentist.
- Resin: Resin crowns are the cheaper options for your dental treatment and they can be used for a temporary period. Over time, they get damaged and fractured, and they are less effective than metal crowns.
- Ceramic: If you have an allergy to metal then you can wear the ceramic crown because they can match with your natural teeth colour. They are mostly used for the back and front teeth.
There are two types of crowns available in the market such as temporary and permanent. Temporary crowns are the custom-made crowns. They are designed in your dentist’s office. But, permanent crowns are designed in the laboratory, and they are made of stainless steel or metals. You cannot wear any dental crown without a dentist and you need to consult a dentist to give measurements of your cracked or damaged tooth. So you can search such dentists online and choose the best one after checking their qualifications, certifications, license and patient’s reviews.