Get the Best Awnings That Fits Your House
Awnings are the roof sheets made of plastics, PVC, asbestos, aluminum, or any other such material that may be durable enough to stand in normal conditions. These sheets are used as a cover where concrete roofs aren’t used. These are basically used above the door, window, outside a shop or restaurant or wherever there is a requirement of a temporary shed. Awnings are very common in countries that are underdeveloped as it is quite cheap in comparison to concrete roofs.
Awnings: Importance and their Use:
Awnings are mostly used as sheds to offer protection from the harsh sun rays, strong gust of wind and rain showers. Using it above the windows, sidewalks, or doors protects from extremities of weather. When the rain splashes in horizontally then awnings protect the water from getting inside a door or window. It is similar for sidewalks, restaurants and shops. Similarly, it also protects from sunlight when it falls horizontally. It is not possible to cover everything with concrete roofs, therefore it is sometimes required to use temporarily and makes it easy to put and remove sheds that may be useful.
There are various kinds of awnings that are used nowadays. Some of them are retractable while some of them are equipped with solar panels which can be used in generating electricity that may be used to light streetlights. The others are the ones that are water resistant, and some of them even serve special purposes. Awnings have unlimited use in context to shops, restaurants, sidewalks, temporary roofs, camps, roofs for animals, temporary houses, sheds above doors and windows and can also be used in public events.
Types of Awnings:
- Stationary: These are used randomly for temporary needs and are fixed to one place. They may not be ideal for sustainable use and may not stand longer in case of snow and storm.
- Portable: These are transported from one place to another. They can be adjusted according to the individual requirement. This is basically needed in a case when we need to adjust the roof according to the direction of the sun.
- Retractable: These are latest and is in trend these days. They have advantage over the other roofs because they can be retractable. It means that we can stretch the roof when we want and can retract it when needed. This is basically needed according to the weather conditions. A spread out roof in hot sun and a retractable roof during the evening hours or the warm sun of the winter months.
- Motorized: These are equipped with latest sensor technology. It moves, spreads and retract based on the requirement of the weather conditions.
- Solar Shade Awnings: In these, the wings of the awnings are equipped with solar panels. So when they are placed in the hot sun it can be used to generate electricity. They can be of great use.
Materials used in Making of Awnings:
Awnings can be made of many materials. Materials also decide the quality of the awning. Awnings are made from PVC, asbestos, plastics, aluminum, woods and by using bamboos and leaves of banana or coconut. The materials determine the quality. Mostly asbestos, plaster, plastics and aluminum is used to make awnings that are used in general places. Woods, tin, bamboos and leaves are used in temporary basis and urgent situations.
Uses of Awnings:
The use of awnings occurs mostly in under developed nations apart from general shopping, restaurant or home use. Awnings of aluminum and woods or bamboos are used in rural parts where shades are made to shelter families, grains and animals. Most villagers till date stay in such houses made of asbestos, woods, planks, bamboos and leaves. Using leaves and woods help them in scorching sun light as metal sheets often lead to horrible conditions in summer.